My story...

I left Vancouver on April 4 2010 to live one year abroad. I arrived in London- spent a week with my cousins, headed over to Ireland to see some more cousins and tour the country, back to London for a day- and arrived in Paris on April 28th, 2010. I found an apartment and started working on May 10th. From May 2010 until February 2011 I lived the Parisian life and took advantage of living in the epicenter of the world by traveling and exploring numerous nearby countries such as: Algeria, Portugal, Switzerland, Spain, England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, the south of France, Belgium, Morocco, and South Africa.
This blog takes you into the wonderful adventures of my life with stories and pictures galore.
I was due back to Vancouver on April 1, 2011- where I took my position back after my one year leave. I flew back to Vancouver on March 27, 2011. It has been good to be back- I am so blessed as I am surrounded by such great people!!! So good to see friends and family again after 1 year!
Just because I'm back in Vancouver to what was my "normal" life... doesn't mean the adventures and blogging stop here. The adventures will continue I'm sure... so
the only way to stay informed with my random experiences is to come back to this page! So add it to your favourites.

last updated: April 2, 2011.

Thursday 8 April 2010

There are ups...and there are downs.

So getting to London was no problem.. the flight was a piece of cake, the directions I was given were well communicated, I got two buses and a couple of hours later I was at the door to my cousin Alia and Reyan's house. I met Alia and was forced to stay awake to help with the jet-lag; which I am thankful for now, but at the time I was not liking it! We went for a little stroll down Alia's friend Sara's neighbourhood and took care of some very important 21st century tasks... bought a SIM card so I am connected to the wireless UK network, checked out a few stores, and went out for coffee and cake....like I said, only the necessities. :)

After this we went home, had a fabulous homemade dinner: salmon with a delicious HOMEMADE parsley pesto, mashed potatoes, and roasted vegetables. Alia loves cooking, and I love her for loving it!

The following day I just took it easy, slept in... the best 12 hour sleep I have had in a while, and I perused the neighbourhood a bit, went for a nice little walk around the park, took pictures of the English houses, and bought Alia a pretty little ranunculus flower for the kitchen- despite the fact that her boyfriend says she has a black thumb... we are convinced that kissing it will help keep this one alive.


Towards the end of the day I started feeling a little tickle in my tummy... it wasn't feeling too good. By the middle of the night I was running to and from the bathroom... I could go into greater detail, but just in case you're having a meal or a snack, I don't want to ruin your appetite. Lets just say that it has been going around, I was lucky enough to contract it. I am so incredibly thankful that I am staying at my cousins house and not some random hostel... My lovely cousin ended up waking up and took care of me. Having been born and raised in Zimbabwe, she made me an African concoction of flat coke, water, sugar, and salt. I drank that the following day and ate bread and was up and running in no time. I am forever grateful to her for looking after me.
I ended up having to cancel lunch and dinner plans and subsequently rescheduled for the following day. Like I said... there are ups and there are downs.


No comments:

Post a Comment