My story...

I left Vancouver on April 4 2010 to live one year abroad. I arrived in London- spent a week with my cousins, headed over to Ireland to see some more cousins and tour the country, back to London for a day- and arrived in Paris on April 28th, 2010. I found an apartment and started working on May 10th. From May 2010 until February 2011 I lived the Parisian life and took advantage of living in the epicenter of the world by traveling and exploring numerous nearby countries such as: Algeria, Portugal, Switzerland, Spain, England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, the south of France, Belgium, Morocco, and South Africa.
This blog takes you into the wonderful adventures of my life with stories and pictures galore.
I was due back to Vancouver on April 1, 2011- where I took my position back after my one year leave. I flew back to Vancouver on March 27, 2011. It has been good to be back- I am so blessed as I am surrounded by such great people!!! So good to see friends and family again after 1 year!
Just because I'm back in Vancouver to what was my "normal" life... doesn't mean the adventures and blogging stop here. The adventures will continue I'm sure... so
the only way to stay informed with my random experiences is to come back to this page! So add it to your favourites.

last updated: April 2, 2011.

Tuesday 6 April 2010

Pre-Departure

So I have been planning on taking a one year leave from work for a few months now. At first, I was planning on going to Korea or Japan to teach English but then decided to go to France instead. I do speak French...just not that well as there is not much opportunity to practice in English speaking Vancouver, BC, Canada. After having been approved for the leave from work for April 1st, I started my trip planning. My friend had suggested that she come along and we explore Amsterdam and Barcelona before I get settled in France...and I had agreed this was a good idea. However, unforeseen circumstances arose, disabling her to join the beginning of my adventure. I would still like to see something exciting before I get settled into building my life in France, so I have decided to visit some cousins and friends in London for a week, then head to Ireland for 10 days or so (still in the planning process).

The Friday before I left some friends and I got together at a funky little venue downtown Vancouver for some good laughs. On the Saturday my beautiful friend sent me for a calming 45 minute spa bath with candles lit, soft music, and relaxation lights... a time of tranquility and absentmindedness was exactly what I required... and achieved. In the afternoon my loving family put together a tea/lunch at my grandmother's house in my honour where we sat, ate, and socialized. I thank the higher being every day for the family I was born into... couldn't ask for a better group of individuals to be surrounded by.

Pre-departure was quite rough for me... there were a multitude of thoughts and feelings going through my head: angst, excitement, doubt, nervousness, adventure, nausea, to name a few. After having been advised that these are normal feelings to have when embarking on a year long adventure (and a good sleep) I was feeling alright the morning before my trip.

I packed everything up and said my goodbyes. The hardest was saying goodbye to my grandmother. She has been in the hospital for the last 6 weeks due to a stroke. She is not doing well in general and we have no idea how long she will be in there for, or whether she will even go home. It was very emotional. :( still think about her often...

So I got to the airport and Air Transat is super strict with baggage. You are only allowed one check-in and one carry-on. The check-in can be a maximum of 20kg and every additional kg is $20. So instead of paying the extra $180 dollars for my extra baggage... I took out a bunch of stuff and my mom gave me the money towards new clothes. Great idea! I don't know why/how I over-packed...but it's so true, you only end up wearing a few outfits anyways.

I gave my hugs and kisses to the family who joined me at the airport, and was off through the gates and boarding already. The flight was alright, no turbulence, but no interesting movies and I couldn't fall asleep. After having arrived in London, the bags were delayed coming through... but that's okay, better late bags than no bags. So off I went to catch 2 buses in order to get to my cousin's house. She was a bit worried because of the delay, but I made it safe and sound. I was SO exhausted (it being approx. 4am my time/noon local time) but my cousin forced me to stay awake until 10pm so I could adjust to the time difference. It was hard, but I did it and had the best 12 hour sleep in the world.

Here I am... Tuesday morning, the first full day of my trip in my cousins' beautiful little house on the outskirts of London. They gave me a set of keys so I will shower, have breakfast, and explore the neighbourhood a bit. Tomorrow I will go to central London.

Signing off for now... one year of adventure...here I come!

2 comments:

  1. You've already started your adventure! Simply put, SO COOL! Otherwise put...well I'd go on and on, so for now I will stick with SO COOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great Farida! it's exciting to hear about all this!!

    ReplyDelete