My story...

I left Vancouver on April 4 2010 to live one year abroad. I arrived in London- spent a week with my cousins, headed over to Ireland to see some more cousins and tour the country, back to London for a day- and arrived in Paris on April 28th, 2010. I found an apartment and started working on May 10th. From May 2010 until February 2011 I lived the Parisian life and took advantage of living in the epicenter of the world by traveling and exploring numerous nearby countries such as: Algeria, Portugal, Switzerland, Spain, England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, the south of France, Belgium, Morocco, and South Africa.
This blog takes you into the wonderful adventures of my life with stories and pictures galore.
I was due back to Vancouver on April 1, 2011- where I took my position back after my one year leave. I flew back to Vancouver on March 27, 2011. It has been good to be back- I am so blessed as I am surrounded by such great people!!! So good to see friends and family again after 1 year!
Just because I'm back in Vancouver to what was my "normal" life... doesn't mean the adventures and blogging stop here. The adventures will continue I'm sure... so
the only way to stay informed with my random experiences is to come back to this page! So add it to your favourites.

last updated: April 2, 2011.

Thursday 8 April 2010

Big Cities- getting lost on purpose

One of the many things I love about big cities is getting lost on purpose. But the trick to this is not being on a schedule/having to be somewhere at a certain time.

Before getting lost on purpose, I met up with my cousin at the school where she did her Master's Degree in Islamic art.


http://www.psta.org.uk/

The fundamental principle of The School is that tradition is continual renewal. Experiencing the traditional arts as living skills students participate in their vibrancy and regeneration.

Although theoretical programmes exist at postgraduate level at many western universities, there are few, if any colleges, apart from The Prince’s School, where the practical skills of the traditional arts are taught at this level. The School holds that the practice of the traditional arts is a contemplative process based upon universal spiritual truths. Art is seen as an integral part of everyday life and not a luxury; neither is it a subjective psychological experiment, nor a whimsical exercise in nostalgia.

The School’s programmes aim to encourage an awareness amongst students that form, pattern and colour as manifested in the various branches of the traditional arts, are not simply pleasing to the senses, or demonstrations of good design, but are created to embody beauty — the beauty of the permanent that shines through into the world of the transient. The distinction made today between ‘Fine Art’ and ‘Craft’ is entirely modern. In a traditional society painting, pottery, carpentry, agriculture and music were all expressions of art or making and the artist’s practical activity was integrated, not only into the wider community but also into a more profound order.

Whether a traditional art is representational (iconic) or non-representational (aniconic) it will always be structured on the principles of ordered space. All civilisations have acknowledged that geometry is fundamental to the cosmic order, or as Plato explained, “…geometry is the knowledge of the eternally existent” (Republic, Book 7, 527b). The School teaches geometry, not only as an objective language informing the traditional arts of the world, but also as an essentially sacred language. Students learn that the patterns of traditional art reflect nature and are underpinned by the same geometry that is the basis of the natural world. Thus geometry is seen as a reflection of a universal order, as was taught by the ancient Greeks and recognised by the great Arab architects and scientists, as well as the cathedral builders of the MiddleAges.



Many of the world’s sacred traditions and traditional art forms have already been destroyed. It is one of the objectives of The School to work on a practical solution to reduce the threat of further extinction. The main solution is the teaching and promotion of the practice of these arts and crafts. Students who attend The School, from all over the world and from many different cultures, may, in turn, pass on these practical skills, together with an awareness of the universal principles underlying them. Thus The School is in a unique position to promote understanding and tolerance between cultures, helping to forge links and encourage recognition of the common values held by all.
The artwork seen above are those painted by my cousin Ayesha...she's so talented! She took me out for a beautiful Moroccan lunch where we caught up after so many years of not seeing each other. She gave me a quick tour of the studio...what a tranquil learning environment. Beautiful!

After the quick visit, it was now time to get lost. I walked around aimlessly, going into shops, taking random pictures such as this one:

I would love to be able to pull off a hat like the one on the right...maybe after 8 months of living in Paris I will be able to put together the right outfit.

I was walking along and then all of a sudden found myself at the famous Trafalgar Square where I enjoyed a Rubicon juice box and watched the children play with the pigeons.






Enjoying beautiful London.

3 comments:

  1. We really enjoy your pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding that gorgous hat! Don't wait so long to don it. It took me a fraction of a split second to picture you in it! This is what you do - wear it with a 40's style classic suit - off white or ivory, just below the knee. The suit has a one inch wide belt, cinching in your lovely waist. Spiky pumps - black or brown...; Hair loose - soft curls, dark red lips. You're welcome, lololo. Post picture!

    ReplyDelete