My story...

I left Vancouver on April 4 2010 to live one year abroad. I arrived in London- spent a week with my cousins, headed over to Ireland to see some more cousins and tour the country, back to London for a day- and arrived in Paris on April 28th, 2010. I found an apartment and started working on May 10th. From May 2010 until February 2011 I lived the Parisian life and took advantage of living in the epicenter of the world by traveling and exploring numerous nearby countries such as: Algeria, Portugal, Switzerland, Spain, England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, the south of France, Belgium, Morocco, and South Africa.
This blog takes you into the wonderful adventures of my life with stories and pictures galore.
I was due back to Vancouver on April 1, 2011- where I took my position back after my one year leave. I flew back to Vancouver on March 27, 2011. It has been good to be back- I am so blessed as I am surrounded by such great people!!! So good to see friends and family again after 1 year!
Just because I'm back in Vancouver to what was my "normal" life... doesn't mean the adventures and blogging stop here. The adventures will continue I'm sure... so
the only way to stay informed with my random experiences is to come back to this page! So add it to your favourites.

last updated: April 2, 2011.

Saturday 24 April 2010

My favorite day in Ireland

On Thursday April 22, 2010 I had the best day ever in Ireland. It started out waking up in a hostel room by myself at around 8am. I was on the road for Rossaveal to catch the ferry that goes to the Aran Islands, specifically Inis Mor. (The largest island). See previous post for a map- on the left you can see the 3 Aran Islands. The ferry left around 1030 and I was there by 945 to take my time. I sat up on the top of the ferry to enjoy the view and another girl travelling solo sat next to me. We eventually started talking and how we were both going to hire bikes, so we thought...why don't we ride with each other so we can take one another's pictures. Perfect! A special thank you to Kailey from Montreal for being such great company!

Background of the Aran Islands:

The Aran Islands encompass three thousand years of human history, and one billion years of natural history. Once part of a craggy ridge of limestone that extended from the Burren in County Clare, there is evidence of people living on the islands from as far back as 2300-2000 BC. These early settlers were most likely farmers who came from the Burren and the Irish mainland.

Pirates of the Atlantic..
By Medieval times, the islanders lived in "chiefdoms", the largest example of this is the hillfort at Dún Aonghasa on Inis Mór. (The word "Dún" means fort of a king or chieftain). The Aran Island chiefs were powerful and wealthy people who controlled the western sea passages - supposedly keeping the seas free from pirates on behalf of the merchants in Galway in exchange for protection money. But these protectors were apparently not against a bit of pirating themselves!

Pilgrim Fathers
Around the same time (between 800 AD and the early 12th century), there was a frenzy of pilgrim activity in Ireland. The Aran Islands were a very popular pilgrimmage, due to the hardship required to get there in the first place, so suitable penance was endured en route. Each of the three islands have extensive ancient and religious sites worth exploring, including a Bronze Age mound and a "sunken" church on Inis Oírr.

Early Bronze Age

It was on Inis Oírr that some of the earliest evidence of civilisation on the Aran Islands was found. Irish legend holds that the Firbolg were the earliest inhabitants of this island having fled to the island to escape invaders.

Cnoc Raithní, is a burial mound which dates back to approx. 2000 BC. During its excavation, some cremation urns were discovered which probably originated in Scotland, so these settlers were well travelled and had connections from far afield.

Early Medieval

Dún Formna is one of the seven stone forts on the Aran Islands. The name literally means "the fort on top of the hill" and it was the home of Inis Oírr's island chieftain sometime after 400 BC. The oval-shaped stone fort now also contains O'Brien's Tower which was built hundreds of years later.

There are three chapels on Inis Oírr, which date back to the 11th century, when pilgrimages to the Aran Islands were at their height - Cill Gobnait, Teampall Chaomháin (now appears to be sunken in the sand) and Cill na n-Seacht Iníon. The patron saint of the Aran Islands is St. Enda, who founded the first monastery on Inis Mór in the 6th century. St. Enda also has a holy well - Tobair Éinne on Inis Oírr, where it is said that if you see an eel in the water, it will bring you luck!

Medieval

Because the Aran Islands were the key to controlling Galway Bay, they were contested, fortified and garrisoned by various competing powers. During the Medieval period until 1582, the Aran Islands were controlled by a branch of the O'Brien clan from Clare. From as early as the 13th century, there are records of payments of large amounts of wine by Galway city to the O'Briens to keep the shipping routes in the area free from piracy.

O'Brien's Castle on Inis Oírr was probably built in the 14th century, which makes it earlier than the tower houses of the Burren and later than the stone forts of the Aran Islands. The castle was taken from the O'Briens by the O'Flaherty's of Connemara in 1582. It was occupied by them and others until 1652, when the Aran Islands were surrendered to Cromwellian forces. The castle appears to have been partially dismantled at that time in favour of the Arkin Fort on Inis Mór.

Recent History

Another prominent feature on Inis Oírr's landscape is the military signal tower, which was built between 1804 and 1806. This was part of a network of towers built around the Irish coast. They formed a line of communication from Dublin on the east coast to Bantry Bay in the south west and then up along the west coast to Malin Head in the north west.

Behind the Signal Tower are the ruins of the island school that was used from 1889 - 1942. At the end of the l9th century the British government wanted a school to be built on the island. The landlord did not want the children to receive an education and refused to give any land. However a law was passed in London forcing him to donate Iand for a school. In revenge he gave a plot of land on the highest point of the island, forcing the children to make a very long climb every day.

In the 1960s a freight cargo vessel, the Plassey, was shipwrecked during a storm off the coast of the island. All of her crew were saved by the islanders using Breeches Buoy, and a further storm and high winds moved the boat to its current spot, which is above the high tide mark, where it is rusting its way into the landscape. Viewers of the popular Fr. Ted show may also recognise it from the series where it features in the opening credits.



Here I am! On my bike with the squeaky breaks...ready to explore the Island! We arrived at about 11:15, hired the bikes, and off we went.
Normally, the roads were like this one below... paved, quite flat, with the occasional hill.
However, in order to enjoy the beauty of Dun Ouchathair (The Black Fort), we had to hike up a steep gravel road.
But it was worth it!!! look at this view!!!
This was the beautiful terrain up there...stunning!!!
Sooooo scary!!! Lying right on the edge of a massive cliff! Bad @$$!
My attempt at building an inukshuk...
Off we went, through the teeny weeny town... and met the Lucky Star Bar's most valuable customer... Mr. Rooster, waiting for it to open.
So stunning, rolling hills with loads of walls made from rocks stacked on top of each other.

Where we took a break for lunch, in the ruins of an old home... here's me... Just chillin, reading a book in the window...
Cute little houses...
A leprechaun house!!!
Stunning cliffs...
An aerial view borrowed from the internet...
Stunning!
I was too scared to look over the edge... but Vasco is a brave man. Nunez was holding on for dear life
Beautiful view!
One of my two favorite houses I saw on the island!
A neat old home...
Me putting wood on the fire, just like the olden days...
An old house with a straw roof!

This was my wonderful adventure on the island. We finished up around 430 and took the ferry back to the mainland at 5pm. It was a loonnngggg day. After biking for over 4 hours I was exhausted. I went back to the hostel, showered, and went out for dinner by myself. I was told I must go to a restaurant called The Woodquay Cafe which was located above the local pub where a musician I met the night before was going to be playing. So I had a lovely dinner, read my book, people watched those walking in the streets, and come 9:30 went downstairs to watch Mr. Kevin O'Connor play his guitar and sing Irish tunes. He had two other friends come in and join him in the fun. Then two others came down with banjos and flutes, and the next thing I knew, the whole pub joined in, singing on the top of their lungs!!! It was incredible!!!! I didn't want to be rude and sit there and video record it all, but I got a lot of sound recordings on my camera!!! what a wonndeerrrfulllll experience!!!! I was the only foreigner too!!!!



If you're ever in Galway...ask for Mr. Kevin O'Connor and if he's still playing music!

1 comment:

  1. Your posts are great, Farida. I like the historical backgrounds you're giving us. Hope you continue to have a great time!

    ReplyDelete