My story...

I left Vancouver on April 4 2010 to live one year abroad. I arrived in London- spent a week with my cousins, headed over to Ireland to see some more cousins and tour the country, back to London for a day- and arrived in Paris on April 28th, 2010. I found an apartment and started working on May 10th. From May 2010 until February 2011 I lived the Parisian life and took advantage of living in the epicenter of the world by traveling and exploring numerous nearby countries such as: Algeria, Portugal, Switzerland, Spain, England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, the south of France, Belgium, Morocco, and South Africa.
This blog takes you into the wonderful adventures of my life with stories and pictures galore.
I was due back to Vancouver on April 1, 2011- where I took my position back after my one year leave. I flew back to Vancouver on March 27, 2011. It has been good to be back- I am so blessed as I am surrounded by such great people!!! So good to see friends and family again after 1 year!
Just because I'm back in Vancouver to what was my "normal" life... doesn't mean the adventures and blogging stop here. The adventures will continue I'm sure... so
the only way to stay informed with my random experiences is to come back to this page! So add it to your favourites.

last updated: April 2, 2011.

Saturday 10 April 2010

High Fashion...not Haute Couture



Alia's friend Kirsten came to London from the South of England to buy some much needed things for her wedding which is coming up in July. There are some things smaller towns just don't offer, so she made the trek up to city centre, so Alia, one of her bridesmaids, can give her the Haute Couture opinion on certain items. So off we went, early in the morning to Oxford Street- the main shopping street in London. It took us ages to find parking, so instead of paying 30 pounds for a car-park nearby, we decided it would be much more economical if we parked a little further off, then caught a bus to city centre. So we did...and even better, the bus oyster card reader was out of order so we actually found our way for free! It helps travelling with a local...they know all the little tricks :) We get off the bus, and here we are on Oxford Street in London!


Haute Couture is everywhere... check this out! Two models doing a photo shoot as we're walking along... not a fan of the outfits though!

If you would like to know more about Haute Couture, my cousin Alexandra is the person to ask. She lived in Europe for over 12 years, studied at various fashion schools, and has since been lecturing. She lived in London for the majority of her fashion career thus far but has recently joined the family again in Vancouver! It is lovely having her back, and I have been enjoying spending time and money in the city she was accustomed to calling home!

http://ca.linkedin.com/in/alexandrasuhner

Anything goes in London in terms of outfits... I swear sometimes people get dressed with their eyes closed...there was this group of girls wearing these colourful tutus... so i went to take a pic with the camera by my leg, trying to be discrete, and this is what came out!!! I love this picture!!!

This was my favorite store on Oxford Street, they have the COOOLLESSTTT clothing, accessories, etc. but not in my budget. I would have loved to have filled my suitcase with clothing from here... but the funds don't exist, so I admired from afar.

Alia wanted to give me a true English experience, so she took me to Liberty's.

Liberty opened to the public on May 15th 1875, when the founder, Arthur Lasenby Liberty, purchased the lease on a half-shop in Regent Street to which he gave the grand name 'East India House'. Earlier, when he was manager of Farmer and Rogers Oriental Warehouse, he told his artist friends that if only he had a shop of his own he would change the whole look of fashion in dress and decoration. This he was to achieve, for as the architect Richard Norman Shaw wrote to him: "Yes, you have put your mark on our time... You found things, most of them beastly, and you leave them glorious in colour and full of interest."

But along with their innovatory and trend-setting stock, from the beginning Liberty also imported a wide range of antiques. As early as 1877-78 the South Kensington Museum (as the V&A was then known) purchased antique embroideries and rugs from Liberty. A Liberty catalogue of Eastern Art Manufactures, dating from 1880, includes antique Chinese and Japanese bronzes, enamels, jade and ceramics, and embroideries and rugs from the Near and Far East. A slightly later catalogue of Eastern Antiquities included Japanese sword guards and some European arms and armour. In addition, Arthur also organised special exhibitions of antique embroideries from all over the world, one of ancient lace, and another of antique prayer rugs from Eastern palaces

The new 'Tudor' building of 1927 prompted a change in the focus of antiques, featuring examples of Stuart, Jacobean and earlier oak furniture with some Georgian pieces. In recent decades it was the pioneering products of Liberty, that appealed to the artistic tastes of the day, that have become the antiques. The Arts & Crafts furniture, in solid oak, or mahogany inlaid with coloured woods and mother-of-pearl; the Cymric silver and Tudric pewter designed by Archibald Knox and others; the jewellery and buckles of Knox and Jessie M King; the Clutha glass and Cordofan candlesticks designed by Christopher Dresser; and the ceramics of William Moorcroft and CH Brannam that are eagerly sought by collectors and museums at home and abroad.

A very British experience; Liberty's has such stunning, elegant, quality items for sale, but at a price I would never be able to afford. The only item I could afford, which I did buy, was a beautiful little handkerchief with one of the classic Liberty floral prints.

After a day of shopping on Oxford Street, we had a delicious Malaysian dinner and went and saw The Blind Side at the cinema. A long, yet successful day in London!

2 comments:

  1. Isn't Liberty gorgeous??? Check out the make-up store called Pixi and also Vivienne Westwood's boutique. Gorgeous!!! Two of my favourite places in London...oh and Cath Kidston too- you'll love it! Miss you tonnes! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I actually just wrote a post on Haute Couture, and the definition of. Farida, you'd better read it, since you're using the term wrong... I think what you mean to say is high fashion. Here's the link:

    http://searchingforstyle.com/archives/4972

    And I guess I also now know why I never did a "year of traveling." I want to shop too much, so it would cost me thousands to spend a year shopping, and I'd need fifteen suitcases to carry around a year's worth of clothes and shoes.

    ReplyDelete