My story...

I left Vancouver on April 4 2010 to live one year abroad. I arrived in London- spent a week with my cousins, headed over to Ireland to see some more cousins and tour the country, back to London for a day- and arrived in Paris on April 28th, 2010. I found an apartment and started working on May 10th. From May 2010 until February 2011 I lived the Parisian life and took advantage of living in the epicenter of the world by traveling and exploring numerous nearby countries such as: Algeria, Portugal, Switzerland, Spain, England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, the south of France, Belgium, Morocco, and South Africa.
This blog takes you into the wonderful adventures of my life with stories and pictures galore.
I was due back to Vancouver on April 1, 2011- where I took my position back after my one year leave. I flew back to Vancouver on March 27, 2011. It has been good to be back- I am so blessed as I am surrounded by such great people!!! So good to see friends and family again after 1 year!
Just because I'm back in Vancouver to what was my "normal" life... doesn't mean the adventures and blogging stop here. The adventures will continue I'm sure... so
the only way to stay informed with my random experiences is to come back to this page! So add it to your favourites.

last updated: April 2, 2011.

Thursday 15 April 2010

Rolling around in a bed of clovers

Yes...that is what I did today. There was something nostalgic about rolling around in clovers that grow in Eire soil versus the ones in Canada. Don't get me wrong, I love laying in the grass in Canada... but what is it about these 3 leafed plants and their relation to Ireland...?

The Legend of St. Patrick and Irish Shamrocks

What medick, the wood sorrels and the true clovers all have in common is a trifoliate leaf structure, i.e., a compound leaf with three leaflets. The number 3, of course, is significant in the Christian religion, because of the doctrine of the Trinity. Irish legend has it that the missionary, Saint Patrick demonstrated the principle behind the Trinity using a shamrock, pointing to its three leaflets united by a common stalk. But there is no way of determining with certainty the exact plant referred to in the legend. This much we can say about Irish shamrocks, however. By definition, for a clover to represent the Trinity, it would have to bear 3 (and only 3) leaves.

Look at this... Music and Board Games are popular in the Medieval times too!!!
The bodhrán is an Irish drum and is considered the heartbeat of Irish music. It is traditionally made with a wooden frame in which a dried goatskin is stretched. The drum is held by placing a hand under the crossbar in the back (check out the picture!) while the other hand beats the drum with a double-headed stick called the cipín. Some bodhrán heads are ornately decorated with Celtic artwork, which are beautiful! Others are just plain-but you can’t mistake the haunting rhythms of the beating of a bodhrán. As a matter of fact, the Irish word Bodhar means deaf or haunting!


A totem pole in front of the castle! Couldn't find too much information on it though!
The translation... English and Irish
St. Patrick's Church

Funnnyyyy.....

No comments:

Post a Comment