My story...

I left Vancouver on April 4 2010 to live one year abroad. I arrived in London- spent a week with my cousins, headed over to Ireland to see some more cousins and tour the country, back to London for a day- and arrived in Paris on April 28th, 2010. I found an apartment and started working on May 10th. From May 2010 until February 2011 I lived the Parisian life and took advantage of living in the epicenter of the world by traveling and exploring numerous nearby countries such as: Algeria, Portugal, Switzerland, Spain, England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, the south of France, Belgium, Morocco, and South Africa.
This blog takes you into the wonderful adventures of my life with stories and pictures galore.
I was due back to Vancouver on April 1, 2011- where I took my position back after my one year leave. I flew back to Vancouver on March 27, 2011. It has been good to be back- I am so blessed as I am surrounded by such great people!!! So good to see friends and family again after 1 year!
Just because I'm back in Vancouver to what was my "normal" life... doesn't mean the adventures and blogging stop here. The adventures will continue I'm sure... so
the only way to stay informed with my random experiences is to come back to this page! So add it to your favourites.

last updated: April 2, 2011.

Wednesday 5 May 2010

Trying to find a home in Paris=DIFFICULT

Okay... so it was super difficult trying to find a home here in Paris. I registered with various websites: craigslist in France (not very popular), pap.fr, and appartager.com-- this is the one where I found my flat. I am sharing it with two girls: Amélie (26) et Lucie (24)...both very nice!

Here are some of the obstacles:

You need a guarantor: someone in France who is willing to sign for you- to state that they'll pay for anything if you get up and leave or break something, don't make the payments, etc.

You need to pay loads of money up front: you need to pay an agency if they're involved, sign documents, register your name on the lease, pay a damage deposit of sometimes up to 3 months rent!!!!!

The many others viewing with you: there are always others viewing with you...why would they take me? someone with no guarantor and only here for.....

The fact I'm only here for a limited time: see above. yes... many people want commitments of over 1 year

EXPENSIVE- places in Paris average at about 700euro a month. ridiculous!!!!

Wide range: I saw really gross dirty places with the teeniest bedrooms, but I also saw some really beautiful ones too!

Trust: important in every shared flat.

The random phone call: Okay...so I had my advert on appartager.com- some information about me and my situation, so I would call people looking for someone, and sometimes I had people call me... like this one guy. He calls me at around 7:30 at night (in French), asking if I have found a place or not ... and I said I hadn't, so he was telling me the information about his flat, and asking if I wanted to set up a viewing...so I said sure, he gave me his phone number, address, etc. And then right before I hang up he says, "So in my advertisement I specified that need to be able to massage your feet, it's a requirement for living with me." ?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?! I WAS LIKE.... WHAT? Then he says, "You know, like Shitsu, massage, your feet." and I was like, "You want me to massage your feet?" and he said no, "I need to massage your feet." I asked him, "Is this a joke?" And he said... "No." So I said, "Yes okay, well, I will call you tomorrow to arrange a viewing, thank you, bye!" But of course..NEVER called!!!

I am actually quite thankful that he told me that over the phone! If he hadn't, I would have gone there, maybe liked it, moved in, and then I wake up in the middle of the night to my random room mate massaging my feet. hahahahaha... yUK!

It was so funny, I was telling Kathrin this story on the metro one night after dinner and we were laughing so hard and there was a guy behind us that was eavesdropping and he started chuckling to himself. I turned around and asked him, "Is everyone in Paris like this?!??!" and he started laughing, he said, "No way! Good job for not contacting him! hahaha" so funnY!!!

Anyways, that's my funny story for the day.

Now...here are some pictures of my new flat!!!!!!

The outside:

The kitchen:

The bathroom= super teenY!
My bedroom! It came unfurnished...so I don't have much! lol... I was able to buy a mattress, sheets, and a pillow, and my flat mates leant me their blanket!
Check out my mini patio!!! It is so Parisian!!!
This is the light coming in at night!
And the best part...other than the cheap rent... is the view from my bedroom window: Can you see it?!?!? The Eiffel Tower!!!!
And...this is the street my work is on!!!!! There are a few things that make this street interesting: It's got a view of the tip of the Eiffel Tower, it's surrounded by beautiful trees, it's right in the high-end shopping district...les Champs-Elysees! Gucci is a couple of doors down! Expensive window shopping will be taking place on my way to and from work! hahaha...
Find the 2 flags in the picture!

7 comments:

  1. Hahahha... I had a brilliant giggle at the Shiatsu incident! Can you imagine if that happened! OMG..I would have run a mile!
    So how did you end up where you are?
    Your place is fabulous Farida.. Love it love it!
    Bon Chance on Monday.. You'll blow them away darling!
    ZX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you end up having to use a PPTC 132? Heh.

    Wow, the foot guy is kind of....creepy. Yikes!

    Bon chance with the new job. I'm sure that you will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No word of a lie, I've been thinking all morning I need to book a pedicure! Farida, what were you thinking! Did you at least ask him if he did buffing, softening calluses, and polish? Or play "This Little Piggy"! lololo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flag game- Oh, I see the French flag, and is that the Canadian flag hanging from the hotel! Yippee! Can-dada!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Must allow me to massage your feet.... hmmm, I must add that to my repertoire...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that the Canadian flag is hanging above the Embassy's entrance?

    There are days where the foot massaging guy wouldn't be such a bad thing to have around....reminds me of that Sex and the City episode where Charlotte goes to that shoe store with the guy with the foot fetish :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. amy- you are right about the flat! and that's so funny, a girl at the hostel from australia said the same thing...that it reminded her of that very episode too! haha

    ReplyDelete