My story...

I left Vancouver on April 4 2010 to live one year abroad. I arrived in London- spent a week with my cousins, headed over to Ireland to see some more cousins and tour the country, back to London for a day- and arrived in Paris on April 28th, 2010. I found an apartment and started working on May 10th. From May 2010 until February 2011 I lived the Parisian life and took advantage of living in the epicenter of the world by traveling and exploring numerous nearby countries such as: Algeria, Portugal, Switzerland, Spain, England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, the south of France, Belgium, Morocco, and South Africa.
This blog takes you into the wonderful adventures of my life with stories and pictures galore.
I was due back to Vancouver on April 1, 2011- where I took my position back after my one year leave. I flew back to Vancouver on March 27, 2011. It has been good to be back- I am so blessed as I am surrounded by such great people!!! So good to see friends and family again after 1 year!
Just because I'm back in Vancouver to what was my "normal" life... doesn't mean the adventures and blogging stop here. The adventures will continue I'm sure... so
the only way to stay informed with my random experiences is to come back to this page! So add it to your favourites.

last updated: April 2, 2011.

Monday 17 May 2010

A day in the french life of...MOI!

So here I am... one full week into my regular 'Parisian' life. I thought I'd post a wee blog to advise you of what I am getting up to.

So.. I wake up around 7am for work.. sometimes push snooze until about 730... and aim to catch the 8:05 train into Paris. If I don't, I'm still safe if I catch the 8:20 train! I live 8 minutes (two stations) outside of central Paris and live only 1 minute walk from the train station in Clamart- literally across the street. Apartment is good so far... I have decorated my room with some pictures, have somewhere to put my clothes, bought a lamp, and a plant!!!! I can't live somewhere with no life... plus it's providing me with some much needed oxygen (am slowly dying of all the second hand smoke in Paris)! pics coming soon!

So I get off the train with the hoards of people, and make my way into the underground to catch the metro line... I squish myself on the metro for about 6 stops until i get to the station champs elysees. In order to save time, I take another train one stop away so I'm right by my work.

Work: Working at the Canadian Embassy is really cool... it's like being on Canadian soil in Paris. so neat. So I work 9-5 but am more than willing to work past 5 if I have work to complete because I'm just so grateful for this opportunity. I am an administrative assistant and actually do similar work as I did in Vancouver... I process passport applications, call applicants and references (in french! eek! and in english! fiewf!) I am not authorized to process them yet so I am working in a lovely woman's account while she supervises me... the database is different, so it is still a lot of learning too. I am going to be taking a test this Thursday to become eligible to process applications in full... I think the fact that they're investing in me... and if i pass this test, they will extend my one month contract I have now. *fingers crossed* So in the morning I study the course- self guided. And in the afternoon I shadow a colleague so I can become familiar with the work I will be doing. I have a one hour lunch break! first time ever in my life! i love it!!!! so i usually try to bring something, but doesn't happen often, so go up the street to buy a fresh sandwich on baguette...so good :)

After work... I usually take the metro to the stop where I have to catch my train and find somewhere to use the internet. Write some emails, buy dinner or something to make for dinner. I head go home, watch some TV shows my lovely cousin put on my computer and go to bed. When the weather gets a little nicer I look forward to spending more time outside! Bedtimes falls around 11pm most nights.

I have met a couple of people...but am on a mission to make friends now. So some of the people from the hostel were super cool and gave me their phone numbers to hang out (going to watch one guy who is in a heavy metal band play this Thursday night- not my regular cup of tea, but will be good to meet ppl!) And while i was hanging out with a german girl that was here visiting while I was at the hostel, we met a really cool guy on the street and he gave me his number, we were both very pleased that I was his first canadian friend, and him my first parisian friend. hahaha.

hahaha... what else... I have 2 things on the list of things to do: well...3: 1-make friends, 2-join a beginners soccer league, and 3-learn to play the guitar... so that's what my next few weeks look like!

On saturday I hung out with a friend from work's sister who lives here...She is super nice! We walked around Paris with her husband and her 2 kids...she's my age, she invited me to her son's christening on the 29th! I also have some other contacts people have sent my way... so looking forward to meeting friends of friends!

anyways...voila, my life in a nutshell these days.
Didn't buy this one... I'm being selective...but the colours are so french :) it was nice :)

No comments:

Post a Comment