My story...

I left Vancouver on April 4 2010 to live one year abroad. I arrived in London- spent a week with my cousins, headed over to Ireland to see some more cousins and tour the country, back to London for a day- and arrived in Paris on April 28th, 2010. I found an apartment and started working on May 10th. From May 2010 until February 2011 I lived the Parisian life and took advantage of living in the epicenter of the world by traveling and exploring numerous nearby countries such as: Algeria, Portugal, Switzerland, Spain, England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, the south of France, Belgium, Morocco, and South Africa.
This blog takes you into the wonderful adventures of my life with stories and pictures galore.
I was due back to Vancouver on April 1, 2011- where I took my position back after my one year leave. I flew back to Vancouver on March 27, 2011. It has been good to be back- I am so blessed as I am surrounded by such great people!!! So good to see friends and family again after 1 year!
Just because I'm back in Vancouver to what was my "normal" life... doesn't mean the adventures and blogging stop here. The adventures will continue I'm sure... so
the only way to stay informed with my random experiences is to come back to this page! So add it to your favourites.

last updated: April 2, 2011.

Tuesday 11 May 2010

Can't believe I'm saying this...


But I have been hanging out in McDonald's lately.

Okay...there is something so strange about this massive monopolizing fast food chain. Back home, I hardly, if ever eat there, but since having been abroad, I have found myself here more often than I would like to admit.

Now I don't think you people back home will understand why... I know you're probably shaking your heads at me right now saying, "What are you doing? You're in a foreign country!!!! Enjoy their food!!!!" Don't worry... I have been.

But you really have a different opinion about this ff giant because it is seen from a different perspective.

Let me explain:

A safe haven

There is always a guarantee that there are tons of people in McDonald's. So...for a young girl travelling on her own, it is a safe establishment to be in. There is always lots of staff and lots of customers.

FREE INTERNET

This is 98.7% of the reason I come here. I don't have internet at my new flat yet so when I need to surf the web and write emails, I am guaranteed a free connection. It is like Vancouver's Starbucks'. They are everywhere and they have free wifi.

Familiarity

No matter where you go in the world...you are familiar with the menu. You can order a Filet-o-Fish and know what's on it and know that your taste buds will enjoy it.

Great coffee

I didn't know this, but my cousin Zee in Ireland introduced me to their cappuccinos. Not too shabby I must say! (Don't curse me.. I am also enjoying my café au lait in little french coffee shops too)

Cheap

Bottom line... doesn't burn a hole in the traveller's pocket.

I made a little rhyme/game:

What's your slang
For this fast food chain?
While consuming, tastes like it's the thang
But give it 30 minutes and it comes out with a BANG!

hahahahahaha... hope you liked that one :)

Anyways...I've heard these names for McDonalds so far:

McDo (French)
McDycks
The Golden Arch
Micky D's
....?


2 comments:

  1. I have to admit that I have eaten in McDonald's while travelling abroad before (oh the shame). Although, one time was because I was desperate for a toilet and you had to show a receipt to use the restroom. Cheaper than a pay toilet.

    Don't be afraid to sit alone in a (real) restaurant! You can't eat at McD's forever. Take a book along to read, or grab a table on the patio and people-watch while you wait and eat. I started doing that and always enjoy it (that was how I celebrated my 27th birthday....reading a book and eating lasagna in a little restaurant in Zagreb). It's quite nice! You can unwind, lose yourself in your thoughts while drinking a nice glass of wine or coffee.

    Trust me, you'll love it more than eating a filet-o-fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I went back to Australia years ago, McD's tasted quite different; does it in Paris? There were also a few differences in the menu; they had fried chicken...Does Paris McD's have frogs legs?

    ReplyDelete