My story...

I left Vancouver on April 4 2010 to live one year abroad. I arrived in London- spent a week with my cousins, headed over to Ireland to see some more cousins and tour the country, back to London for a day- and arrived in Paris on April 28th, 2010. I found an apartment and started working on May 10th. From May 2010 until February 2011 I lived the Parisian life and took advantage of living in the epicenter of the world by traveling and exploring numerous nearby countries such as: Algeria, Portugal, Switzerland, Spain, England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, the south of France, Belgium, Morocco, and South Africa.
This blog takes you into the wonderful adventures of my life with stories and pictures galore.
I was due back to Vancouver on April 1, 2011- where I took my position back after my one year leave. I flew back to Vancouver on March 27, 2011. It has been good to be back- I am so blessed as I am surrounded by such great people!!! So good to see friends and family again after 1 year!
Just because I'm back in Vancouver to what was my "normal" life... doesn't mean the adventures and blogging stop here. The adventures will continue I'm sure... so
the only way to stay informed with my random experiences is to come back to this page! So add it to your favourites.

last updated: April 2, 2011.

Monday 28 June 2010

The sun is shining....

Okay... so I think I'm becoming a little more appreciative of this city they call Paris now... maybe appreciative isn't the word. I think it's just getting into my blood stream now. Let me explain...

Last week a co-worker from the Passport Office came to Paris with his family and he made a note to make sure he saw me to report back to the office how I am. It was such a wonderful visit. We sat on your typical Parisian patio where all the chairs are very close and all facing outwards. This is what you do in Paris. You sit, eat, drink, chat, and people watch- a perfect Parisian experience. Nelson was so great because he actually showed me a different perspective to these people we call "Parisians." He showed me why he appreciates them and to be honest, things that I thought were negative qualities, he changed my opinion... he taught me to just appreciate these people for who they are and what they have to offer this city they call 'home.' We had a wonderful conversation... and I'm sure he'll take back the update of my life to the office back home :)

Okay... so I was on my way home, running some errands, and then remembered a cafe a friend had recommended because he said they had great burgers... and mmmmmm. they do! So as I'm sitting on the patio by myself, reading my 20 minutes free paper in French.... I pick up my burger, take 2 bites and then put it down feeling a bit embarrassed/out of place. So, I picked up my knife and fork, and started eating my burger with them. Can you believe this? I felt more comfortable eating a burger with a knife and fork!!!!! That was probably "my moment."

I had another one today.... I was running out the door to buy new sponges, dish soap, and garbage bags and as I got to where I had to validate my card for the train I realized I left it at home. Home is just across the street... but the first word that came out of my mouth was... "merde" which translates to "sh*t or damn." I shocked myself as I ran back down the stairs to go grab my pass.

I have met a few more people too... so my "friendship" circle is starting to grow... I think that helps too.

The sun is finally shining! Of course weather has something to do with moods... and boy is it shining here... a beautiful, HOT, 31 degrees! That deodorant from Canada sure is coming in handy these days :) hehe

Speaking of deodorant, the wonderful mec (=guy) who brought me prized posession was leaving France Saturday night and he invited me out for dinner. We were originally going to go to great looking place in a park, but because of the beautiful weather, everyone else wanted to go too, so we didn't end up getting a seat as the line was HUGE. So we went walking along looking for a sushi place a friend of a friend had recommended Joe's friend and couldn't find it. As we're walking along, we see this cute little hole in the wall resto, if you blinked, you would have missed it. It was down this random street and was super tiny, but the menu looked good. We sat outside at one of the two tables and ordered the BEST salads ever!!!!! This place was SOOOO Parisian!!! It was great!!!! Anyone who comes to visit, I promise to take you there as the 2 owners/staff were great, the food was divine, and the joint was superb. They only support artisan people which I loved about it!!!!

An artisan (from Italian: artigiano) is a skilled manual worker who makes items that may be functional or strictly decorative, including furniture, clothing, jewelry, household items, and tools. The term can also be used as an adjective to refer to the craft of hand making food products, such as bread, beverages and cheese.


That night they didn't have the tuna for my salad because the artisan that supplies their tuna didn't have any. ISN'T THAT GREAT?!?!?! I loved that they told me that... so I took the salad 'sans thon' and it was still divine.

All in all, my days are getting brighter! I have to enjoy this time here while I can... I know very well that in about half a year, I won't be here any more and this will only be a memory and wonderful experience.

Check out the wonderful picture I took!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful..
    You bring so many smiles to everyone that crosses your path Farida! It's about time you start smiling, loving the city and enjoying the moment!
    Can't wait to see you again!
    Miss you so much cuzzzeee..

    ReplyDelete