My story...

I left Vancouver on April 4 2010 to live one year abroad. I arrived in London- spent a week with my cousins, headed over to Ireland to see some more cousins and tour the country, back to London for a day- and arrived in Paris on April 28th, 2010. I found an apartment and started working on May 10th. From May 2010 until February 2011 I lived the Parisian life and took advantage of living in the epicenter of the world by traveling and exploring numerous nearby countries such as: Algeria, Portugal, Switzerland, Spain, England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, the south of France, Belgium, Morocco, and South Africa.
This blog takes you into the wonderful adventures of my life with stories and pictures galore.
I was due back to Vancouver on April 1, 2011- where I took my position back after my one year leave. I flew back to Vancouver on March 27, 2011. It has been good to be back- I am so blessed as I am surrounded by such great people!!! So good to see friends and family again after 1 year!
Just because I'm back in Vancouver to what was my "normal" life... doesn't mean the adventures and blogging stop here. The adventures will continue I'm sure... so
the only way to stay informed with my random experiences is to come back to this page! So add it to your favourites.

last updated: April 2, 2011.

Tuesday 29 June 2010

The flag is at half mast today...

Today was a day of mourning, as I am sure there are many more to come.

One of my colleagues here at the Embassy passed away this morning in his sleep.

Shame.

His name was Yuri.

He was 25 years old, young, healthy, and active. I didn't know him that well... but was starting to.

He worked at the Embassy, helping out in various sections and was planning on moving back to Canada with his girlfriend who works in the Consular Section with me. She has been working at the Embassy for 8-9 years and had decided to move back to Canada to start a life near family and friends... her time was up here in Paris. Her date of departure is July 14, her last day at work July 9. Yuri was planning on moving back to Canada so they could start a life together.

We celebrated her time and dedication at the Embassy last Friday at a beautiful Italian restaurant.

I'm still in shock, it was just the other night where we were out, I had met his mom and dad for the first time and he sat across from me at the table. He was warning me about how hot their hot sauce was and was telling me stories and everything. Because we are a little short of people these days in the Consular section, he has been working with us for the past 3-4 weeks. He never said no if I asked him to make guarantor or reference calls for me, always had a smile on his face, and I can still hear his laugh now. I was just joking around with him yesterday as he was sorting through old blank passports... he said to me, "I think we should give Canadians blank books and let them do their passports themselves"... I started laughing and said, "Nooooooo, not a good idea." We laughed.

It's so weird to have someone so young in your life one day and not the next. Just like that.

The general atmosphere in the office was very difficult. I was in the hall next to the room where another colleague took the girlfriend and gave her the news. She started screaming and crying and said no, no, he'll wake up. Oh it was so sad.

No further news has been given but that it happened while he was sleeping at 8: 30 am this morning, his mother found him in his bed.

Shame... please say a prayer for him, his family, his loved ones and for yourself, your family, and your loved ones.

This is the reality, we can go at any time and at any place.

My heart goes out to him....

2 comments:

  1. Whoa, that is so,so,so sad. The poor family, the poor girlfriend....25 years old..That is much too young. So shocking :(

    I am so sorry for you and your colleagues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God takes you at anytime! Live your life to the fullest!
    May he be granted a straight path to heaven!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete