My story...

I left Vancouver on April 4 2010 to live one year abroad. I arrived in London- spent a week with my cousins, headed over to Ireland to see some more cousins and tour the country, back to London for a day- and arrived in Paris on April 28th, 2010. I found an apartment and started working on May 10th. From May 2010 until February 2011 I lived the Parisian life and took advantage of living in the epicenter of the world by traveling and exploring numerous nearby countries such as: Algeria, Portugal, Switzerland, Spain, England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, the south of France, Belgium, Morocco, and South Africa.
This blog takes you into the wonderful adventures of my life with stories and pictures galore.
I was due back to Vancouver on April 1, 2011- where I took my position back after my one year leave. I flew back to Vancouver on March 27, 2011. It has been good to be back- I am so blessed as I am surrounded by such great people!!! So good to see friends and family again after 1 year!
Just because I'm back in Vancouver to what was my "normal" life... doesn't mean the adventures and blogging stop here. The adventures will continue I'm sure... so
the only way to stay informed with my random experiences is to come back to this page! So add it to your favourites.

last updated: April 2, 2011.

Tuesday 1 June 2010

It's like ying and yang

In Chinese philosophy, the concept of yin yang ([yinsimplified Chinese: ; traditional Chinese: ; pinyin: yīn] [yang- simplified Chinese: ; traditional Chinese: ; pinyin: yáng] often referred to in the west as yin and yang) is used to describe how polar or seemingly contrary forces are interconnected and interdependent in the natural world, and how they give rise to each other in turn. The concept lies at the heart of many branches of classical Chinese science and philosophy, as well as being a primary guideline of traditional Chinese medicine,[1] and a central principle of different forms of Chinese martial arts and exercise, such as baguazhang, taijiquan (tai chi), and qigong (Chi Kung) and of I Chingdivination. Many natural dualities — e.g. dark and light, female and male, low and high, cold and hot — are thought of as manifestations of yin and yang (respectively).

Yin yang are complementary opposites within a greater whole. Everything has both yin and yang aspects, although yin or yang elements may manifest more strongly in different objects or at different times. Yin yang constantly interacts, never existing in absolute stasis. The concept of yin and yang is often symbolized by various forms of the Taijitu symbol, for which it is probably best known in western cultures.

There is a perception (especially in the West) that yin and yang correspond to good and evil. However, Taoist philosophy generally discounts good/bad distinctions as superficial labels, preferring to focus on the idea of balance. The idea that yin and yang has a moral dimension originated in the Confucian school (most notably Dong Zhongshu) around the second century BCE.[2]


  • big - little
  • cheap - expensive
  • clean - dirty
  • deep - shallow
  • easy - difficult
  • far - near
  • fast - slow
  • fat - thin
  • full - empty
  • good - bad
  • happy - sad
  • hard - easy
  • heavy - light
  • here - there
  • high - low
  • hot - cold
  • in - out
  • inside - outside
    • light - dark
    • long - short
    • many - few
    • new - old
    • rich - poor
    • right - left
    • right - wrong
    • safe - dangerous
    • single - married
    • smooth - rough
    • soft - hard
    • strong - weak
    • tall - short
    • thick - thin
    • tight - loose
    • warm - cool
    • wet - dry
    • wide - narrow
    • young - old


    ....... and the list of opposites goes on. Anyways... the point of the story is to compare my week last week to this week. Last week was horrible. I won't get into it, but in comparison; this week has been amazing so far!!!! A wise man once said, "Bad days make better ones seem AWESOME!" Let me list you the wonderful things that happened to me on a very special Monday:

    -I got my test results which enable me to process passport applications for Foreign Operations... I passed with a score of 96%!
    -My contract has been extended to September 30th
    -I got my first and much needed pay cheque!
    -I found a GREAT lebanese place for lunch that has delicious and nutritious wraps!
    -I had the best first of many work-outs at the gym at the Embassy!
    -I got to see my brother Riyad for 3 hours while he was on route to South Africa to watch some Fifa World Cup soccer games and visit family! I took the train out to the airport and treated him to an overpriced dinner! But it's the company that counts!
    -And the cherry on my well baked cake was speaking with my best bud in New Westminster Christina and her son/my nephew Anthony on his 2nd birthday!!!! Just hearing him say "Hello Frida- i wuv you" was an ITC!!!!

    Yay for good days!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so so happy for you.. Now, I want to take you back about 25days ago..when you had worry beads, sweaty palms and anxiety!
    How nice is it to look back and realise that you are so worth it and deserve everything that comes your way..
    Yay!!
    Zx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Farida,

    I am so glad that everything is falling into place for you. You truly deserve all good things because your spirit is so authentically good and pure. I miss seeing you everyday and talking with you...by the way, get any nice water bottles over there? lol

    I think about you often with such fondness and I hope to get over there and see you soon! xoxo

    ReplyDelete