My story...

I left Vancouver on April 4 2010 to live one year abroad. I arrived in London- spent a week with my cousins, headed over to Ireland to see some more cousins and tour the country, back to London for a day- and arrived in Paris on April 28th, 2010. I found an apartment and started working on May 10th. From May 2010 until February 2011 I lived the Parisian life and took advantage of living in the epicenter of the world by traveling and exploring numerous nearby countries such as: Algeria, Portugal, Switzerland, Spain, England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, the south of France, Belgium, Morocco, and South Africa.
This blog takes you into the wonderful adventures of my life with stories and pictures galore.
I was due back to Vancouver on April 1, 2011- where I took my position back after my one year leave. I flew back to Vancouver on March 27, 2011. It has been good to be back- I am so blessed as I am surrounded by such great people!!! So good to see friends and family again after 1 year!
Just because I'm back in Vancouver to what was my "normal" life... doesn't mean the adventures and blogging stop here. The adventures will continue I'm sure... so
the only way to stay informed with my random experiences is to come back to this page! So add it to your favourites.

last updated: April 2, 2011.

Monday 7 March 2011

Coca Doodle Doo



So I was having a discussion with a friend of mine about farm animals one day- yes, random- not sure how we got started on it. We were chatting and then we got onto what the rooster says. I told her in English it says, "Coca Doodle Doo"- she burst out laughing. I then asked her what the rooster says in French- she said "Coco Rico" hahahaha... then I burst out laughing. I guess different languages attribute different sounds to the same animals. An example of reality being filtered through and shaped by culture!!

I googled a few others - for giggles :)

In Cebuano ( one of the many dialects in the Philippines ) we call the rooster "sunoy" and the sound? its " tuk-to-ga-ok "

In Bicol (another dialect in the Philippines) it's pretty much like the Cebuano's -- it's "tuk-to-RA-ok"

"Kook-Rooo-Ka- Rooo" - in Hindi!

Roosters in Sweden say 'kuckeliku"

Kykkeliky in Norwegian

"kookaroo" in Greek

so funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment