My story...

I left Vancouver on April 4 2010 to live one year abroad. I arrived in London- spent a week with my cousins, headed over to Ireland to see some more cousins and tour the country, back to London for a day- and arrived in Paris on April 28th, 2010. I found an apartment and started working on May 10th. From May 2010 until February 2011 I lived the Parisian life and took advantage of living in the epicenter of the world by traveling and exploring numerous nearby countries such as: Algeria, Portugal, Switzerland, Spain, England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, the south of France, Belgium, Morocco, and South Africa.
This blog takes you into the wonderful adventures of my life with stories and pictures galore.
I was due back to Vancouver on April 1, 2011- where I took my position back after my one year leave. I flew back to Vancouver on March 27, 2011. It has been good to be back- I am so blessed as I am surrounded by such great people!!! So good to see friends and family again after 1 year!
Just because I'm back in Vancouver to what was my "normal" life... doesn't mean the adventures and blogging stop here. The adventures will continue I'm sure... so
the only way to stay informed with my random experiences is to come back to this page! So add it to your favourites.

last updated: April 2, 2011.

Saturday 2 April 2011

Statistics




Before I go back into time and add various stories... I wanted to share some statistics with you. I am sure I will add more... but here are a few!!!

*Transportation:

Planes: 27

Vancouver-London
London-Dublin
Cork-London
Paris-Barcelona
Barcelona- Paris
Paris-Algiers
Algiers-Paris
Paris-Zurich
Zurich-Paris
Paris-Dublin
Dublin-Paris
Paris-Lisbon
Lisbon-Paris
Paris-Barcelona
Barcelona-Sevilla
Granada-Barcelona
Barcelona-Paris
Paris-Johannesburg
Johannesburg- Paris
Paris - Edinburgh
Glasgow-Dublin
Dublin-Paris
Paris-Madrid
Madrid-Fez
Marrakech-Madrid
Madrid-Paris
London-Vancouver

Flights canceled: 1 x Paris-Edinburgh
Flights forfeited: 2 x Marrakech-Madrid


Trains: 24

London-Paris
Paris- Rouen
Rouen- Paris
Paris-Arras
Arras-Paris
Paris-Marseille
Marseille- Cassis
Cassis-Marseille
Paris-London
London-Paris
Sevilla-Granada
Paris-London
London-Paris
Paris-Brussels
Brussels-Paris
Edinburgh-Glasgow
Glasgow- Pitlochry
Pitlochry- Glasgow
Glasgow-Paris
Paris- Chambéry
Chambéry-Lyon
Lyon-Paris
Fez-Marrakech
Paris-London

Missed trains: 1 x Arras- Paris

Long distance bus rides: 5

Dublin-Trim
Marseilles-Aix en Provence-La Ciotat-Marseille
Johannesburg-Kimberley
Pitlochry-Bruar
Glasgow-Highlands-Glasgow

Automobiles: 14

Dublin-Belfast
Belfast-Dublin
Zurich- Seedorf
Seedorf-Altdorf-Lucern-Zurich
Kimberley-Bloemfontein
Bloemfontein-Kimberley
Kimberley-Cape Town
Cape Town-Kimberley
Kimberley-Johannesburg
Paris-Versailles
Versailles-Paris
Bruar-Pitlochry
Chambéry-Geneva
Geneva-Chambéry

Car rentals: 1

Dublin- Galway-Cork

Ferry rides: 7

Galway-Arran Island
Arran Island-Galway
Switzerland
Les Calanques
River king- La Seine River- night time
Bateau Mouche with Isabelle and Roseni on La Seine River
Loch Ness, Scotland

Parisian metro rides: incalculable

*concerts: 12

Joshua Radin, Vusi Mulasala, Fete de la musique, Prince (yes- the one and only), K'naan, Playing for Change, Spanish Guitar, Rock En Seine- K'naan, Luc singing opera, Brasilian Samba party, Redbull 3style, Drake

*Large bodies of water: 5

Irish Sea, Atlantic Ocean, Mediterranean (Barcelona, Algeria, South of France), Atlantic (SA), Indian ocean (SA), Pacific Ocean

*amazing moments: incalculable

but to name a few: meeting K'naan, meeting Mark Johnson, Prince concert, sleeping on the street, watching world cup final in 3D, Christian Dior Fashion Show, An Opera Party, 5 star hotel in Lisbon, An Opera birthday dinner party, living out the strikes in Paris, the Alhambra and the South of Spain, our family reunion in South Africa, Vasco and Nunez de Balboa meet Isabella and Lucy Bird in Dublin with my best friend who's a 4 year old and our special handshake, going on a safari thanks to Uncle Gamza, a dance party on the Train to Marseille, a dance party on the boat on the Seine, Crepe making thanks to Roanne's husband, oursins in Algeria, Vasco and Nunez's photo-shoot, Thanksgiving dinner in France, Emergency evacuation team- Canadians repatriated from Cairo, Lunch on a bateau mouche with Isabelle and Roseni, visits and cocktails at Diplomatic residences, girl cousins trip Paris-London.

*famous people meeting/seeing: 6

K'naan, Mark Johnson, Charlotte LeBon, Ambassador of Canada, South African President in Paris (drove by with his entourage), Liv Tyler

*castles, churches, abbeys: incalculable

*dirty kisses: 1 x Blarney Stone

*clean kisses: I'm not telling (my mom reads my blog)

*times being pooed on: 1 x In Ireland

times stepping in poo: could count on two hands in Paris

*number of new stamps in my passport: 27

*number of new visas in my passport: 2

*visitors to Paris: a handful

*people who said they wanted to visit but never had the opportunity to: lots

*beautiful sunsets: many

*camel rides: 1 x in Algeria

*baptisms: 1 x Cael

*number of marriage proposals: 4

*maximum number of camels proposed for my hand in marriage: 4

*lugging my luggage around on public transit: 8 dreadful times

*fearsome experiences: 1

*delicious food: incalculable

but to name a few... Planet Sushi (thanks Regine :) ) , crepes, demi baguettes, mini croissants, pastas natas in portugal, Roseni's delicious Brazilian meals, fresh fruit at the barcelona market, paella in spain, coconut yogurt in France, All South African family's cooking- especially Shani's, biltong, Woodwards fresh Passion Fruit juice, cheese in France, galette in Chambéry

*countries: England (IIIII), Ireland (III), Northern Ireland, Spain (IIIII), Algeria, Switzerland (II), Portugal, South Africa, Belgium, Scotland, Morocco, France (south:II)

*amazing people: incalculable

*ITCs: incalculable

*moments and experiences I am so grateful for and will never take for granted: incalculable

ALL IN ONE AMAZING YEAR!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. LOVED reading this post!!! So inspiring!! and I loved how you put Planet Sushi first in your list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops forgot my name, régine ;)

    ReplyDelete