My story...

I left Vancouver on April 4 2010 to live one year abroad. I arrived in London- spent a week with my cousins, headed over to Ireland to see some more cousins and tour the country, back to London for a day- and arrived in Paris on April 28th, 2010. I found an apartment and started working on May 10th. From May 2010 until February 2011 I lived the Parisian life and took advantage of living in the epicenter of the world by traveling and exploring numerous nearby countries such as: Algeria, Portugal, Switzerland, Spain, England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, the south of France, Belgium, Morocco, and South Africa.
This blog takes you into the wonderful adventures of my life with stories and pictures galore.
I was due back to Vancouver on April 1, 2011- where I took my position back after my one year leave. I flew back to Vancouver on March 27, 2011. It has been good to be back- I am so blessed as I am surrounded by such great people!!! So good to see friends and family again after 1 year!
Just because I'm back in Vancouver to what was my "normal" life... doesn't mean the adventures and blogging stop here. The adventures will continue I'm sure... so
the only way to stay informed with my random experiences is to come back to this page! So add it to your favourites.

last updated: April 2, 2011.

Saturday 6 November 2010

I spoke too soon....

Well I spoke too soon with my last blog post...

I wrote on October 23, 2010 saying that I wasn't really affected by the strikes and that I hadn't felt the impact - at least not in the same manner that everyone had...

however, 6 days later- I felt the strike all right. I can say that the protesters put me, the average commuter, in a disastrous commute to work on the 29th of October, 2010- the last but full force day of the October 12th, 2010 strike.

My morning commute went like this:

I leave my house at 7:15am hoping to get the 7:20 train then transfer to a metro, arriving at the Embassy around 7:50 in time for a nice 1 hr workout, a shower, and up to my desk for 9am. But no....

1- The 7:20 train was canceled- so was the next one.
2- I take a 15 minute bus ride to the nearest metro station- in general the metros run very frequently. This bus ride was PACKED- barely got on the bus squeezed in with other morning commuters.
3- Get to the metro and have to wait about 10 minutes for it to arrive- normally they run about every 3 minutes.
4- Get on the metro- running smoothly until we come to a stop at a station. An announcement comes on saying that we will be staying at the station momentarily and thanked us for our patience. I figure I'll wait- this line would take me quite close to work.
5- Five minutes later another announcement comes on saying that he suggests we take a corresponding line because this train will NOT be going anywhere.
6- I take out my metro map and see that line 6 is at this station too- okay, I can take line 6, then transfer to line 9 a few stops later.
7- I get on line 6 which takes me to station Trocadero- for my transfer to line 9.
8- I get on the train- line 9. The doors aren't closing. An announcement comes on, "This train will NOT be going anywhere."
GREAT.... There are no other corresponding trains.
9- I am close enough that I can walk to work... thankfully I had a small street map book in my purse that day- I have no idea why it was in my purse because normally I don't carry it!
10- I walk through the streets and stumble upon a familiar path which takes me to my work.
11- As I am frantically trying to find my way, cussing and cursing about the strikers and the inability for me to get to the gym and my morning shower... a man put the cherry on my cake. A construction worker passes me and says in french, "Ca c'est une face que se leve tot!" AHHHHHHHHHHHH GRRRRRRRRRRR... translation: Now that is a face that wakes up early!

I was SOOOOOOOO mad, it didn't register until the moment he was behind me, otherwise I would have given him the middle finger for that one!!! But then a few minutes later I was laughing about it... and I probably did not have a friendly looking face due to the circumstances.

I ended up getting to work at 8:50pm- enough time to wash my face, pretty it up a little, and get my morning coffee.

I felt the impact of a strike in France alright....

That same day I went up to Haussmann- Gallery Lafayette to grab a present for a coworker who was leaving the Embassy. As I get out of the train station I find myself in a crowd of protesters!!!!!

This was the order:

-Protesters screaming and causing havoc ( I didn't catch up to the massive crowd)


-Dozens of police men following them




-Street cleaners cleaning up their mess.


All doing the same march....

No comments:

Post a Comment