My story...

I left Vancouver on April 4 2010 to live one year abroad. I arrived in London- spent a week with my cousins, headed over to Ireland to see some more cousins and tour the country, back to London for a day- and arrived in Paris on April 28th, 2010. I found an apartment and started working on May 10th. From May 2010 until February 2011 I lived the Parisian life and took advantage of living in the epicenter of the world by traveling and exploring numerous nearby countries such as: Algeria, Portugal, Switzerland, Spain, England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, the south of France, Belgium, Morocco, and South Africa.
This blog takes you into the wonderful adventures of my life with stories and pictures galore.
I was due back to Vancouver on April 1, 2011- where I took my position back after my one year leave. I flew back to Vancouver on March 27, 2011. It has been good to be back- I am so blessed as I am surrounded by such great people!!! So good to see friends and family again after 1 year!
Just because I'm back in Vancouver to what was my "normal" life... doesn't mean the adventures and blogging stop here. The adventures will continue I'm sure... so
the only way to stay informed with my random experiences is to come back to this page! So add it to your favourites.

last updated: April 2, 2011.

Monday 16 August 2010

Algeria: Thoughts

Well... I was fortunate enough to go to Algeria for 4 days.... I had 4 of the best days of my life there. What an amazing country... let me share with you why I think this. Then I will post 4 more blogs with pictures and stories of my adventures in this beautiful land filled with beautiful people.

I was given the opportunity to go to Algeria as my aunt Marcina married an Algerian man, Djell. Marcina and Djell met in Montreal about 20 years ago and they have since moved to Vancouver and had two daughters, Chahira and Kamelia- my two cousins.

Every 2 years or so Djell goes to Algeria with the girls, and sometimes Marcina, to visit his family. His parents, siblings, nieces and nephews all live there still- except for brother in London and a nephew in Colombia.

So this year Djell and the girls went for just over a month- including the month of Ramadaan.

I had to take advantage, it being a 2.25 hour flight... so I was off to the Algerian Embassy to get a visa. What a neat experience that was too... I go there about half an hour early, wait in line, only being the second person for the Visa section. I had my WELL completed applications in hand, 2 pictures, money, my passport, my letter of invitation, and my proof of health insurance. I get in there... and the lady starts inspecting my application...she goes down to the employment section and sees that I work at the Canadian Embassy... she looks up at me, a huge smile starts to grow on her face and she's like... YOU WORK AT THE CANADIAN EMBASSY, YOU'RE LIKE A COLLEAGUE!!! From that point on we were chit chatting, she was inquiring about my experience how I am here to learn french, she said we have the same first name, same spelling, and it was literally like we were 'colleagues'. After our long chat, she informs me that it's cheaper for Canadians and says if it works better with my schedule, I am more than welcome to come in on Saturday to pick up the visa (it being a Thursday) when they are normally not open on Saturdays nor do they normally process visas in less than 14 working days! Wow...vip service! When I went in there on the Saturday to pick up my passport, we chatted with some of her colleagues and she says to one man, "This girl is Canadian, working at the Canadian Embassy!" He says some sort of expression to me in French that I didn't understand because he spoke to fast and I was not familiar with the expression... he repeats it and I say, "I'm sorry, I don't understand!" So he says to me, "YOU're not Canadian!!!" And I replied, "YES, I am Canadian, but no, I'm not Quebecoise!" So there you have it my friends, like most people in France, if not all... when they see the map of Canada, they see the map of Quebec. :) Understandable... the same language and culture and all... but yes, there are other provinces and territories, which house people whom are not familiar with Quebecois expressions!

Okay... so I get my visa... and I'm ready for Algeria. I was able to get Thursday and Friday off work, so I leave early Thursday morning and stay until Sunday.

What I love most about Algeria is that they live their lives the way I believe everyone should...by appreciating the basic, essential, roots of life. In my humble opinion, these include FAMILY, COMMUNITY, RELATIONSHIPS, LOVE, JOY, FOOD, RESPECT, PRIDE, and the list goes on...but these once really jump out at me. For Algeria, my uncle's family is by no means RICH nor POOR... but for Canadian and even more so European standards, they would be on the lower economic scale.

But this is just it... you don't need money to be happy... I have no doubt these people struggle in life in a variety of ways... but the essence is there. The people, their family, is what keeps them together. They are able to laugh and joke about everything and anything- because at the end of the day, they are able to put food on their table, a table that is big enough to fit over 20 people around it.

Just as my mother always said- relationships are built by sitting around the table and eating food together... not just does food provide us with energy, but it provides a very important social aspect to life as well.


Like many of the countries I have been to, flags hang high with pride...


Algeria is a very proud country, and so it should be. It has been through lots throughout struggle and hardships

but it is the pride that keeps the country together. Everyone kept asking me, "Est-ce que l'Algerie te plait?" Which means... "Does Algeria please you?"... not a direct translation, but very close. They all wanted to make sure I was having a wonderful time and get a foreigners opinion on the land they call home.

I was taken back in Algeria.... the people treated me like royalty. Everyone wanted to hang out with us

go on the outings with us, give us stuff (when they hardly have anything at all) just so that you will remember them and keep them in your thoughts. Everyone wanted to feed me, show me things, play with me

... it was so sweet. I was so honoured to be in their presence... if they only knew!

It was really sad saying goodbye after 4 days with this family. Even though I am not a member of it, they really made me feel like one. Yes- when I was saying the round of goodbyes... I cried. I cried because I was infused with so much love during those 4 days from complete strangers... and this to me, was an experience of a lifetime.

1 comment:

  1. Farida.....actually, you are family to the family in Algeria (I'm smiling as I write this). Glad you had a good time. Lovely to know, that you know that the best way to built relationships is by sharing a meal. Love you. Mum

    ReplyDelete