My story...

I left Vancouver on April 4 2010 to live one year abroad. I arrived in London- spent a week with my cousins, headed over to Ireland to see some more cousins and tour the country, back to London for a day- and arrived in Paris on April 28th, 2010. I found an apartment and started working on May 10th. From May 2010 until February 2011 I lived the Parisian life and took advantage of living in the epicenter of the world by traveling and exploring numerous nearby countries such as: Algeria, Portugal, Switzerland, Spain, England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, the south of France, Belgium, Morocco, and South Africa.
This blog takes you into the wonderful adventures of my life with stories and pictures galore.
I was due back to Vancouver on April 1, 2011- where I took my position back after my one year leave. I flew back to Vancouver on March 27, 2011. It has been good to be back- I am so blessed as I am surrounded by such great people!!! So good to see friends and family again after 1 year!
Just because I'm back in Vancouver to what was my "normal" life... doesn't mean the adventures and blogging stop here. The adventures will continue I'm sure... so
the only way to stay informed with my random experiences is to come back to this page! So add it to your favourites.

last updated: April 2, 2011.

Tuesday 20 July 2010

Outlandishly, Perplexing, Uncanny French Paradoxes

Shame on me for only writing 6 blog posts in the month of July... well... more like 10 because the Barcelona one was quite long. But still.... I guess the sun has come which keeps me outside. And was it just me or did the month of July ZOooOOooooom by?! Either way... I'm back, all is well, and I'm just living this French life I was meant to be living :)

There are many... but I would like to share with you some interesting facts about France-- or just things that are on my mind or that I find interestingly different than other places I have been in the world.

The weather

A topic of choice for many conversations, whether it be small talk because there is nothing else to talk about or large debates about how the sky can be cloudless, thunderous, and ORANGE all within 18 hours. Whatever the case, we LOVE conversing about the weather. So, let me tell YOU about the weather in France. It's strange...well at least it is this year. It can be HOT HOT HOT for 3 days straight and I'm talking like 32 degrees and humid... then all of a sudden you have a massive rain storm that lasts 10 minutes, the rest of the day is cool/cloudy and then the next 3 days are HOT HOT HOT! It's like a little breather.... I kind of like it. Oh and my favorite is the night after the massive rain fall... it's so nice and cool, makes it a lot easier to sleep :)


The Vacation

Okay, so if you have recently had a large number of French people visit the country you are in... don't be alarmed. Paris literally SHUTS DOWN the month of August. All french citizens have like 3-4 weeks off work, I can't get my trusty and informative free 24 hour paper, businesses close their doors, little boutique clothing stores are closed, the metros are much less busy, and the trains run less frequently. But don't get me wrong... Paris is still bumping... only not with the locals, but with a swoorrmmmmm of tourists!!!!


All in all... it's a totally different vibe July and August. Don't say I didn't warn you if you start running into loads of French people.

The Language

Oh where to begin with this language they call french?! Well... I must say, that I have received confirmation that my French is improving... so mission is currently being accomplished. I need more more more though..still feel like I'm surrounded by too much English! I know that I am much more confident that's for sure... Here are some things that cross my mind:

-sometimes I have a hard time finding a word in English now!!!
-I really dislike masculine vs feminine.
-when clients ask me on the phone if I'd rather speak English I respond saying, "No, I need the practice, but forgive me in advance for the mistakes."
-I have lovely coworkers who proof read my emails and file notes before sending them off.
-Some things just don't make sense.
-France french people think Quebecois french is better and Quebecois think France french is better.
-I've been told I have a 'cute' accent *blush*
-I have become a pro french texter.... Yes, I am using the "lol" and "ttyl" equivalents
-I'm not scared of doing my banking in French!!!
-Even when some store clerks hear my accent and start talking to me in English, I keep talking in French. We're on French soil, I'm speaking your language! Take that!

Neighbourhoods

Well... I don't know about you, but I love my neighbourhood... and I find many of them are like this in France. You have your local everything:
-BAKERY
-Pharmacy
-Butcher
-Corner store
-Grocery store
-Bar

The people in my hood, Clamart, are very friendly! Let me share...

Four doors down from my apartment (50m) is a bakery, the people are very friendly and are quite happy to have a wee little Canadian in town! I frequent the bakery every weekend for my demi-baguette which I eat with fried eggs, mushrooms, and fresh cheese! YUM!!!! I also buy a mini-croissant or mini-pain du chocolat or mini-palmier... which are mini pastries... that way I can get the french satisfaction I deserve after a long week at work, but not put on the calories :) A little "amuse-bouche" as they say here... I don't know what the equivalent would be... a mouth amuser?! It just doesn't have the same 'ring' in English...sorry! And get this about bakeries: They communicate with each other to make sure at least one of them is open on statutory holidays. Yup, no rest for these hard workers. So if one baker goes on holidays and closes his doors for 25 days, the other 3 must remain open. I was SO thankful when I walked into my bakery on a statutory holiday...only to find him standing there sleeping! We had a good chuckle and that's when I was informed about this interesting bakery paradox.

I had my first French medical experience a few weeks ago! It was grand! I thought I stepped on a piece of glass or something, so I called up the local doctor, which is about a 4 minute walk from my apartment, and I booked an appointment for the same afternoon at 6pm! Saved by the late hours! It's hard with a schedule of 9-5. So I walked in, waited in a waiting room, then proceeded to his office/examination room all in one. Another local who was very happy to have a Canadian visitor, he told me stories about how he loves Vancouver, Banff, Vancouver Island. I was so thrilled I only had to pay 22euroes for the visit and I walked away with NO glass in my foot, a prescription for the local pharmacy and a smile on my face. I walked over to the pharmacy and the staff were SO friendly. Pharmacies are interesting/amazing here. They have everything you need and more. This could be a good thing, but a bad thing at the same time... the products they have come up with, I'm telling you... you would be shocked. But I'll have you know that my feet have never been softer, despite all the heels I've been wearing these days ;)

Anyways, I have many more little stories of the French that I would love to and look forward to sharing, so don't touch that dial!

Missing everyone!!!! xoxox

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you Farida!!! Look how many times you said how friendly people are! Your good aura paid it forward, and had the domino effect from there! Remember not so long ago you were having a bit of a difficult time with the local attitudes etc.! Farida saves Paris!! They'll even be nice to Americans now! lololo........xoxoxox Yvette

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Yvette 100%!!! You being you, brought out the good in the French! Now that's an accomplishment! lol

    Wait until the fall comes, Paris is gorgeous in the Fall and the trees and the air all seem so fresh and lovely.

    AND I'm thrilled to see that Vasco and Nunez made an appearance!!!!! So cute! Next time you are by 32 Rue Cambon (Chanel's mothership) you must snap them!

    Love you tonnes!!!!

    ReplyDelete